Bias of our low-extinction method

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 18:20:20 PDT

    I have simulated the behavior of our low-extinction method. I started
    with the models of Hatano, Branch and Deaton, which provide the
    probability distribution function of B-band extinction, A_B, for SNe
    observed through spiral and elliptical galaxies viewed at various
    orientations. I generated random values of A_B following this
    distribution function, but adding a flux-limit bias which depresses the
    probability of finding extincted SNe in proportion to the volume of
    space in which they would be accessible in a flux-limited sample. I
    next "observed" them by randomly chosing an E(B-V) error bar and then
    generating a Gaussian deviate with this error bar, and adding the
    result to the generated value of A_B. I then applied the cuts a SNe
    currently must pass to be included in the low-extinction subset in the
    HST paper:

       sigma R-I < 0.25
       E(B-V) < 0.1 or E(B-V) < 2*(sigma E(B-V))

    I also added a too-faint cut, requiring that SN not be fainter than N
    times its magnitude uncertainty (including an intrinsic error of
    0.17). In Rob's last fits, all the residuals were within 3-sigma for
    the low-extinction subset, even though no cut on deviation was
    applied. Thus, my cut considers the likelihood that if there were a
    significantly dim outlier we might have chosed to reject it even
    without a well-measured color to prove that it is reddened.

    I find that our method does have a bias, but that the bias is small
    compared to our other systematics. However, it might not be small
    relative to the Riess prior (that has to be checked).

    Here is what I get:

       N-sigma <A_B> <A_B> Bias
       dim cut low-z high-z low-high
       -------------------------------------
         2.0 0.068 0.081 0.013
         2.5 0.075 0.094 0.019
         3.0 0.080 0.104 0.024

    All mean A_B values are in magnitudes. Basically what happens is that
    the requirement that E(B-V) < 2*(sigma E(B-V)) lets in SNe which are
    more reddened than E(B-V) < 0.1. This effect is larger at high redshift
    because the errors are larger. Note also that the average is not zero,
    and in fact the mode is not zero either. For our current method, I
    estimate that the bias is about 0.024 magnitudes in the sense that the
    high-redshift SNe are dimmer. This depresses Omega_M by a comparable
    amount.

    Note that if I do not include the flux-limit suppression, our bias is
    worse. So, we would expect the low-extinction technique to perform
    worse in a volume-limited sample.

    - Greg