Re: Bias of our low-extinction method

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 09:48:58 PDT

    Hi Ariel,

    You're right that the other steps subsequent to discovery will have
    important effects. In fact, I think that the reason why we see relatively
    more extincted SNe at low redshift from the 1998 search is not only due to
    the survey flux limit allowing them to be found, but also because their
    observed magnitudes were similar to those of unextincted high-redshift SNe
    - which were the ones we were really after - and we didn't have time (due
    to weather) to check out all the candidates. So, these additional affects
    can both help and hurt us in terms of allowing extincted SNe into the
    sample. Unfortunately, I have no means of recreating these in a
    simulation because of the important subjective component. This was also a
    limitation in what could be said about Malmquist bias for this dataset.

    As for the intrinsic color dispersion of 0.05 mag, I haven't tried that.
    I've read Serena's paper, but have to say I'm not really convinced of that
    color dispersion, since if it were present one could not get an intrinsic
    scatter of 0.11 mag about the Hubble diagram after extinction correction.
    However, I will grant that there many be bonifide color outliers, since
    Phillips had to cut out objects with B-V > 0.2 to get his nice dispersion.
    So, a Gaussian core with sigma < 0.05, with some non-Gaussian outliers -
    that I would believe. But then throwing those all together and calling it
    a Gaussian dispersion doesn't seem the thing to do. The fact that Phillips
    could make a color cut for extreme color and then get a small scatter
    suggests to me that the outlier population gives itself away, and is not
    hiding within a Gaussian distribution.

    Cheers,

    Greg