Re: Notes on Iband phone conference 12 Feb.

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 12:38:52 PST

    Hi Serena,
      Thanks for re-computing the standard deviations for each sample
    separately. I think this is the statistic that should appear in column
    5 of table 4.

      One final question. What is the reason for the slight increase in the
    dispersion for the CfA2 sample. Is this because you use the denominator
    n(n-1) in computing the standard deviation for the first case
    (as the means is determined from a fit to the same sample) and n^2
    in computing the standard deviation for the second case (as the mean
    is determined from the fit to all samples)?

    Cheers, Chris.