K-corrections: another voice in the debate

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 16:24:57 PST

    Hmm, I'm not actually sure what the name of the archive is.

    Anyways, Tony asked me to look into this K-correction issue between
    you and Lifan. Since I don't know precisely what it is that Lifan does
    to calculate K-corrections, I can't perfectly stand in for him, but
    perhaps I can add another calculation to the mix.

    I should preface this by saying that I have issues believing any
    K-corrections involving rest frame I band because of the Calcium
    feature.
    I don't think that the uberspectrum approach is well suited to something
    that varies so significantly between different SNe. The idea behind
    Lifan's approach (matching SNe to actual spectra) is probably a better
    way
    to handle it, BUT you have to do a good job choosing your matching
    spectra. And that is the part of Lifan's K-corrections that I don't
    understand, so I can't judge his relative to yours.

    My K-corrections are based on Rob Knop's Uberspectrum, but are a little
    simpler. I don't use Rob's color based spline warping technique, but
    the
    simplier one advocated by Nugent et al. 2002, which is based on a
    galactic
    reddening law. So what I would like to do is calculate some
    K-corrections
    for comparison with yours, and to do that I need to clarify what you
    have
    done slightly in your recent email on the subject.

    First, when you give K-corrections as a function of date, do you mean
    observer or rest frame date?

    Second, what are your filters really? Do you mean Bessell I band for
    both? Or one of the others (Cousins, etc.).

    Both of these are probably small issues, so I will proceed on the
    assumption that you mean observer frame + Bessell I band.

    Alex