Re: Optimization of observations for the HST search

From: Rachel G. (gibbo@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 12:29:55 PDT

    Hi Vitaliy,

            For at least the first search, we'll have to predict
    how best to follow up a particular candidate based solely on
    discovery magnitude and information from the GOODS reference
    data (such as host type and possible photometric redshift).
    We then activate the appropriate portion of our submitted
    program. It was my understanding that we would not be able
    to continuously update our observing scheme due to the tight
    scheduling of HST time.

            However, if we find the follow up for a candidate
    begins a bit late such that sparse coverage on the rise
    warrants getting data beyond the observing sequence we
    activated (including the next search point), there *may* be
    enough time to submit another request for a late-time point.
    This was something we were going to find out about once we
    submit our program.

            For the subsequent searches, we'll have more
    information at our disposal to hopefully more easily rule
    out such cases.

    Rachel