Re: SN 1998ax

From: Lifan Wang (lifan@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 07:28:14 PDT

    > Yes, quite a bit. My best thought for it was an early Type II at a z ~
    > 0.2. Andy thinks that a Ia at z~0.5 is ok.
    >
    > He has a link to it on the web-page:
    >
    > http://panisse.lbl.gov/groupwork/data/spec/homesp/eso_mar98/reduc_tel/andynotes.html

      The best fit to the spectrum is a nearly 100% elliptical galaxy at 0.11, 2nd best is
    a combination of 70% SN and 30% elliptical at z=0.17, the third best fit redshift is
    a Ia at 0.495 for 100% SN and the third is significantly worse than the first two. I
    cannot find the the original finder charts to assess the rough fraction of SN light,
    can someone help ? If the host is insignificant before discovery, then we can say
    this is an SN with spectral features consistent with a Ia.

      I have not checked SN II possibility, but believe Peter's suggestion of II is
    reasonable from the information that I can find about this SN.

      The reason for the uncertainty is mostly because the quality of the spectrum is actually
    one of the worst of all the HST spectra.

    Cheers,

    Lifan