Re: SN 1998ax

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 08:15:46 PDT

    Whoops, my bad. I was talking about 988. Switching between numbers and
    IAUC's causes confusion.

    I think And'y fit to a Ia is fairly convincing. A whole bunch of the
    features do match up. Compared to the Type II he has compared it with a
    Ia at z = 0.5 is definitely a winner. Also I think SiII (twice) and SII
    can be seen.

    And BTW the only reason Andy tried to fit 98ax with a type II for me was
    also caused by this IAUC-number screw-up as well. I wanted him to try it
    for the one that looked like a IIP (988-98bb) not this one. That is why
    this was even done. But hey, Andy is quite a sceptic and he believes it
    is a Ia after me telling him the lightcurve looked like a II. Given all
    that I think we can safely say it is a Ia.

    BTW Andy could you run the cmparison for 98bb-988 and a Type II?

    Lifan you should look at the original discovery image and see (roughly)
    how much host you could expect as a constraint on your fits. BTW it was a
    1000% increase so it is all Ia, which matches your best fit for it being
    100% supernova at a z~0.5.

    You can breath easy Rob....

    Cheers,

    Peter

    --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Staff Computational Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC