Re: SN 1998ax

From: Andy Howell (DAHowell@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 14:35:36 PDT

    Lifan,

    I think there is no doubt SN 1998ax/98109 is a Ia.
    -- We have a redshift from the galaxy, so your first two fits are ruled out
    -- Years ago I showed on the spectroscopy web page that it matches a
    Ia, using Isobel's program.
    -- The light curve matches a Ia
    -- Just to erase any doubt I refit it with my program. My best match
    is to SN 1992A at +11d.
    This agrees perfectly with the epoch determined from the light curve.
    The date of max was
    MJD=50889. The spectrum was taken on 50900. You can see my fit, which
    accounts for
    every significant wiggle, and subtracts only a tiny bit of spiral host here:
    http://panisse.lbl.gov/collab/data/spec/homesp/eso_mar98/reduc_tel/andynotes.html
    This checked it against every type of SN.

    Please check the spectroscopy web pages to see if a SN has been
    investigated before sending
    an email to all of deepnews. I put a lot of work into maintaining them
    as an archive to avoid
    just such time-wasting discussions. No sense raising Rob's blood
    pressure for no good reason :)

    -Andy