Re: SN 1998ax

From: Lifan Wang (lifan@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 15:56:55 PDT

    It is not that I have not read your web page. In fact, I looked it very
    carefully but still have doubts.

    In addition, I have also read Isobel and Chris's original notes:

    >Chris: 98109 was very faint. It was not clear what type this SN was.
    >Isobel : Looks like a Ia at z=0.5. If the line is OII then z=0.497

    >Chris again(Jul 01) I've had a look at the 2-d and 1-d spectra and it
    >is ulikely that the feature we see is OII. It is probably a reisdual
    >from the bright OI sky line at 5577 Angstroms.

    It does not seem conclusive to me that the redshift is determined by these
    notes.

    There are a lot of good reasons to doubt the identification of a Ia based
    on spectrum with a S/N ratio of around 1.5. However, I would still agree
    that this is likely a Ia, especially if the host contribution is very small.

    Cheers,

    Lifan