Re: "too blue" supernovae

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 00:46:39 PST

    1996E 0.43 0.120 0.226
    Hi Rob,
    the "too blue problem" in their data set is discussed in
    Leibundgut 2001, The Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics 2001, 39,
    67. I am attaching the relevant figure from his paper for you to compare.
    I was hoping that you uberspectrum would aliviate the problem, but
    it doesn't look that way. From your table I get a reduced chi2 = 2.5
    for the hypothesis of E(B-V)=0, with a trend of larger discrepancy for
    the high-z points where the observed R band includes a larger fraction of
    restframe U. I added the redshifts and sorted your table below.
    Ariel

    SN z E(B-V) dE(B-V)
    -------------------------------
    1996J 0.30 0.213 0.071
    1996K 0.38 -0.055 0.095
    1996E 0.43 0.120 0.226
    1996U 0.43 -0.164 0.121
    1997ce 0.44 -0.064 0.071
    1995K 0.478 -0.116 0.106
    1997cj 0.50 0.039 0.071
    1996I 0.57 -0.174 0.113
    1996H 0.62 -0.208 0.085

    On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:

    > Wow. I've just pulled the mb and mv data from the Riess 1998 paper on
    > their high-z supernovae, and evaluated E(B-V) for the nine high-z
    > supernovae that they have dm15 lightcurve fits for. This is what I get
    > for their E(B-V) values:
    >
    > SN E(B-V) dE(B-V)
    > -----------------------
    > 1996E 0.120 0.226
    > 1996H -0.208 0.085
    > 1996I -0.174 0.113
    > 1996J 0.213 0.071
    > 1996K -0.055 0.095
    > 1996U -0.164 0.121
    > 1997ce -0.064 0.071
    > 1997cj 0.039 0.071
    > 1995K -0.116 0.106
    >
    > It looks like those guys really were suffering from a mild "too blue
    > supernova" problem. Of course, when you prior it all away, you don't
    > have to talk about it....
    >
    > (I evaulated these E(B-V) values by comparing their mb and mv values to
    > the values I get from my current favorite uberspectrum, and the
    > difference in the B template betwen day 0 and day 0.87 (the latter being
    > where my templates come to maximum in V).)
    >
    > -Rob

    Ariel Goobar (www.physto.se/~ariel)
    Department of Physics, Stockholm University
    AlbaNova University Center, SE-106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
    tel: +46 8 55378659 fax: +46 8 55378601