"too blue" supernovae

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 15:04:15 PST

    Wow. I've just pulled the mb and mv data from the Riess 1998 paper on
    their high-z supernovae, and evaluated E(B-V) for the nine high-z
    supernovae that they have dm15 lightcurve fits for. This is what I get
    for their E(B-V) values:

    SN E(B-V) dE(B-V)
    -----------------------
    1996E 0.120 0.226
    1996H -0.208 0.085
    1996I -0.174 0.113
    1996J 0.213 0.071
    1996K -0.055 0.095
    1996U -0.164 0.121
    1997ce -0.064 0.071
    1997cj 0.039 0.071
    1995K -0.116 0.106

    It looks like those guys really were suffering from a mild "too blue
    supernova" problem. Of course, when you prior it all away, you don't
    have to talk about it....

    (I evaulated these E(B-V) values by comparing their mb and mv values to
    the values I get from my current favorite uberspectrum, and the
    difference in the B template betwen day 0 and day 0.87 (the latter being
    where my templates come to maximum in V).)