Re: Comments on Subaru candidates

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:41:06 PDT

Hi Ariel,

I'm glad you made that plot! My visual impression is that the faintest
candidates don't look all that reliable, and are spurious just as your
plot suggests. We obviously want to avoid spending Keck and VLT time
on those.

The "Neighbor Mag" on the tiles (and in SNTRAK?) is supposed to give
the host magnitude. If the host is too faint, the wrong galaxy is
assigned as the "Neighbor". %Inc ratios the SN light to the host light
in our fiducial aperture - it is not what you really want but obviously
sets some limits when the software picks the wrong host.

Finally, in viewing your plot, I had a few simple comments. For
instance, Subaru is using gunn-i (aka i') which doesn't extend as far
to the red; do your predictions account for this? (Of course this won't
change the excess of faint candidates.) Also, FYI, our magnitude scale
is still very uncertain; we think the candidates may be brighter than
currently quoted. Conditions are good at Subaru tonight so hopefully
we'll have some real calibration tomorrow.

Cheers,

Greg