SS2 field magnitude offset

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:59:01 PDT

Hi,

I just made a quick plot of S/N versus magnitude using the Subaru
candidates Naoki sent a little while ago. I find that the magnitudes
for SS2 should be made about 1.5 magnitudes brighter in order to land
on the locus given by the other fields.

S/N can be affected by seeing in the new and refs and by sky
brightness, while magnitude can be affected by clouds (such as they had
at Subaru Monday night). Unless the S/N inputs are much different for
this field, this suggests that the SS2 field has heavily hit by clouds.

Interestingly, SS2 doesn't show a dearth of candidates, as one might
expect from heavy clouds!

Food for thought ...

- Greg