Comments on Subaru candidates

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:17:25 PDT

Hi,
I just had a look at the candidates that Alex posted. As a reference,
you may want to look at the plot I just put in ourt web page
(http://www.physto.se/~snova/private/2002Arun/2002Arun.html, under
Subaru discoveris vs Monte-Carlo).

There seems to be an excess of candidates at 25:th mag compared
to the expectations. Note also that they have a significance
of ~5 sigma or less. I suspect that there could be some substantial
rate of fake candidates among those.

To get SNe in the range z=[0.8-1.2] and yet get finite exposure lengths
at VLT we should be targeting candidates with discovery mags 23.5-24.5.
Thus it seems to me that S02-001,002,007,016,018,023,024 are our
best bets so far.

Can we get some info on the host galaxy magnitudes to further refine
the selection? I don't mean the luminosity under the SN but the
whole galaxy luminosity.

Cheers,
          Ariel

Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
FYSIKUM, Stockholm University
Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy & Biotechnology
tel: +46 8 55378659