Re: CMAGIC draft

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 15:03:22 PDT

    Hi Ariel,

       I finally managed to investigate your first question -- the one about
    not applying a MW extinction correction. Indeed, not applying the
    MW extinction correction has a very small effect on the intrinsic
    dispersion of B_BV0.6, but has a significant negative effect on
    m_B.

    With MW extinction correction, sigma_int = 0.1206 for B_BV0.6
    (where sigma_int is the error to add in quadrature to get the
    chisquare to come out right) and the raw RMS is 0.196. If I
    remove the MW extinction correction these values actually
    get quite a bit worse: sigma_int = 0.2055 and RMS 0.2825.
    However, looking in a little more detail, both increases are
    completely dominated by SN1995bd. This has
    E(B-V)MW = 0.5, corresponding to 2 mag of B band extinction,
    or a full magnitude for CMAGIC. If I eliminate this SNe, the
    numbers drop to sigma_int = 0.117 RMS 0.19, which is not
    statistically significant from the MW corrected values.

    That is, the MW extinction correction has little effect on B_BV0.6
    except in the case of 95bd, which has a very large amount of
    MW extinction.

    When I turn to the m_B values, with MW extinction correction
    sigma_int = 0.222 RMS 0.2696. Without MW correction
    sigma_int = 0.2637 RMS 0.304. Unlike the B_BV0.6 case,
    this increase is not dominated by any one SN. The reduction
    in the quality of the fit seems to be spread along the sample.
    This is a significant change in sigma_int, by around 4 sigma.

    Also note that SN1995bd is not in the m_B sample. In addition
    to having a large amount of MW extinction, it also has a lot of
    host galaxy extinction (0.24 from Phillips). In my analysis I
    discovered that a relatively strict color cut is necessary in m_B
    analyses (assuming that you aren't performing an extinction
    correction) or the fits are very poor, and 95bd fails the level of
    cut that I have been using for the maxmag fits.

    To summarize: As expected, a Milky-Way extinction correction
    is of great benefit to a maximum magnitude fit, but has a much
    smaller effect (too small for me to detect, in fact) on a CMAGIC
    analysis.

    Alex