Re: CMAGIC draft

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 13:29:53 PDT

    That could be interesting, but can probably wait until after
    the blindness is removed.

    It seems to me that in order to Monte-Carlo this we would
    also have to make some assumptions about the host
    galaxy dust distribution, but we can probably just use the
    quoted values from the respective papers.

    A full lightcurve simulation will probably require a
    fair amount of information. It seems to me that to
    fully address the question "How well can this data
    set discriminate between models with intergalactic
    dust and those without?" you would need to know
    the dates of all observations (relative to max) for
    all SNe and the photometric uncertainty on each date,
    as well as assume that the host galaxy extinction values
    are known.

    Another question: how do you simulate lightcurves? The
    SCP spectral templates (Nugent, Knop, Nobili) do NOT do
    a very good job of reproducing the CMAGIC relations, so
    there might need to be a little tweaking necessary to get
    lightcurves that I could actually fit.

    Alex