Comments on the latest draft

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 15:13:10 PST

    Hi Serena,
      Here are my comments on the latest draft. As you will see, I'm about
    half way through the paper and I am concentrating on the wording. Nearly
    all my comments are suggestions on how the text could be made clearer.

      I'll go through the second half tomorrow.

    European Southern Observatory
    Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura
    Casilla 19001, Santiago 19
    CHILE

    Ph. +56 2 463 3106 FAX +56 2 463 3001

    General Comments
    ================

    Capitalise the 't" in "type Ia supernova", i.e. "Type Ia supernova"

    local/nearby SNe Ia - I think that you use both adjectives. Choose one.

    Abstract
    ========

    The first acronym - SNe. Should this be SNe~Ia, as we usually write in SCP
    publications?

    Section 1. Introduction
    =======================

    1st paragraph

    The first acronym (SNe) is already defined in the abstract.

    restframe B-band -> the restframe B-band

    a concordance universe (...) -> a universe in which (...), which is commonly
    referred to as the concordance universe.

    SN Hubble diagram -> SN~Ia Hubble diagram (perhaps you need to be more
    specific here)

    2nd paragraph

    sensitivity to -> extinction by

    3rd paragraph

    This paragraph may not be clear to everyone. I guess that you would like to
    say that the error in I-band extinction corrections are much less than
    those in the B-band. If this is the case, I suggest that you rephrase the
    first sentence.

    Using restframe I-band ... -> In the restframe I-band, the uncertainties in
    the extinction correction are much less than those in the B-band.

    4th paragraph

    I-band light curves -> SNe Ia I-band light curves

    5th paragraph

    restframe I-band -> the restframe I-band

    assess the importance -> to assess the untily (or usefuleness)

    I light curve -> I-band light curve

    Move the non-restrictive clause "which we apply to 42 nearby SNe Ia" to the
    end of the word "technique". I.e. "... technique, which we apply to 42 nearby
    SNe_Ia, to measure ..."

    "We use the fitted I_max of 26 of these SNe Ia, which are in the
    Hubble flow, together ..."

    6th paragraph

    Is it necessary to mention Riess and the problems with 99Q at this point?

    Section 2 I-band light curve fitting
    ====================================

    1st paragraph

    single parameterised -> singly parameterised

    "currently often" -> "currently" (I do not think the word often is necessary)

    2nd paragraph

    "In this way is ..." -> "In this way, it is ..."

    "does not" -> "it does not"

    "their method for our purpose, is" -> "their method, for our purpose, is" (an
    extra comma)

    Replace "that ... sampled" with "very well sampled light curves."

    4th paragraph

    I suggest a small amount of rewording and re-organisation in this paragraph.

    For the first sentence, I suggest

    "The use of this function in place of the function described in
    Contardo et al. (2000) reduces the number of fitted parameters by a
    factor of two."

    The second sentence is then no longer necessary.

    Then, we can remove the footnote and add

    "We choose to use the B-band template of Nugent et al. (2000) as the
    template to describe both peaks. Other choises for the template might
    be better; however, we find the B-band template to be adequate.

    and modify the next sentence so that

    "in (the) I-band is the same as in the template used." becomes "is the
    same in the I- and B-bands."

    "optimal" -> "true"

    Section 2.1
    ===========

    local SNe -> local SNe Ia

    comes -> come

    "least" - If the reader sees this word, he might think that other data
    sets are available, and he might wonder why we did not use them. Perhaps,
    it is better to say, "We have used two data sets ..."

    "days, another one," -> "days, and another"

    Section 2.2
    ===========

    1st paragraph

    "covering in time constraining" -> a coverage in time constraining"

    poissonian -> Poissonian

    table ??

    2nd paragraph

    "as in (Kim ..." -> as in Kim et al. (1996) and Nugent et al. (2002).

    K-corrections -> k-corrections (It is up to you to choose, but I prefer
    the latter)

    systematic uncertainties -> systematic uncertainty

    "for increasing redshift" - By adding the clause, the reader may think that
    the dispersion increases with redshift. Is this true? Perhaps, this
    phrase can be deleted.

    4th paragraph

    "B-band maximum" -> "the B-band maximum"

    "for the underluminous supernovae" -> of underluminous supernovae"

    5th paragraph

    1986G -> SN 1986G

    "do not show a different behaviour ... SNe. -> do not have peculiar IR
    light curves.

    "to assess a greater homogeneity" -> "to assess the utility (or usefulness)"

    7th paragraph

    "the fitting template" -> "our model"

    "We note ... would fail to fit the rest of the sample." I think that
    the point here is that these 6 SNe Ia will always be outliers, no matter
    which template is chosen, since any template which is chosen to fit
    the other six SNe will never be able to fit these SNe.

    Section 2.3
    ===========

    Paragraph 2.

    The first sentence could be rephrased.

    In two cases, SN 1997br and SN 1998ab, we found that the fits to the MC
    simulations resulted in two solutions, one corresponding to that found
    in the fit to the real data and the other corresponding to a small
    fraction (3\% and 22\% for SN 1997br and SN 1998ab respectively) of
    all simulations.

    I don't think that we can argue that the MC simulations have failed. Perhaps
    it is the fitting that has failed - i.e. a false minimum was chosen.
    Perhaps, it would be better if we did not go into too much detail. It might
    be better to delete 3rd and 4th sentences in this paragraph.

    When I saw the following in the last sentence, I became confused.

    "estimating the parameters and their uncertainties from the main distribution."

    Do you estimate the uncertainties in the parameters from the fit to
    the real data or from the fits to the MC simulations? From this
    clause, one would assume the latter. Or, is the latter method only
    used for SN 1997br and SN 1998ab?

    Section 2.4
    ===========

    1st paragraph

    The second sentence could be rephrased to

    Following Goldhaber et al. (2001), the time of maximum, the stretch
    factor (s_B) and the peak magnitude (m_B) were determined by fitting a
    B-band template to the published B-band data.

    "for peculiar" -> "for the peculiar"

    corrections -> correction

    "from average" -> "from the average"

    In reality, you are excluding 3 SNe in figure 3, SN 1998es, SN 1999dq and
    SN 1995E. To make this clear for the rest of the article, perhaps you
    can change the sentence discussing SN 1995E to

    "At this point, we exclude SN 1995E from the sample as it is highly
    reddened. It is not shown in any of the plots nor is it used in any of
    the analyses that follow."

    The dispersion measured ... line is" -> The dispersion, computed as the r.m.s
    about the fitted line, is"

    "stretch in I-band" -> "stretch in the I-band"

    "with an r.m.s of ~ 0.19 mag, about" -> "with a r.m.s of ~0.19 mag about"
    (note the removal of the coma).

    remove the word "obtained"

    2nd Paragraph

    "also" -> "that are"

    remove the comma between peculiar and behave.

    The last sentence in this paragraph seems lonely. Perhaps it would feel
    better if you move it to the caption and change it to "The straight
    line is a fit to the data excluding the labeled SNe."

    3rd Paragraph

    "and Galaxy and host galaxy extinction" -> "and for extinction from the host
    and the Galaxy".

    5th paragraph

    "B-band stretch" -> "the B-band stretch"

    "peculiars" -> "peculiar"

    "are two standard deviations away from the rest of the sample." ->
    "are more than two standard deviations from the straight line fit."

    Figure 1.
    =========

    In the caption to the lightcurve fits of SN 1991bg and SN 1997cn.

    "is fitted as ~3 mag" -> "is ~3 mag. fainter"

    Figure 3.
    =========

    "stretch in B-band" -> "the stretch in the B-band"

    "best fit" -> "best straight-line fit"

    Figure 5.
    =========

    "in B-band" -> "in the B-band"

    "supernovae labelled" -> "labelled supernovae"

    Figure 6.
    ========

    There are other SNe which seem to be more that 2 sigma away from the
    best straight line fit, but none of these are marked in any special
    way.

    Table 3
    =======

    "CMB frame" -> "the CMB frame"

    "the dust extinction" -> "dust extinction"

    Section 3
    =========

    1st paragraph.

    "don not dominate the trend." -> "do not dominate the errors."

    Paragraph 3.

    As a note, an alternative way of estimating the instrinsic uncertainty
    is to add a magnitude error in quadrature to each SNe and to repeat the
    fit until the reduced chi-sq. is one.