Re: 99q in the I-band paper

From: Serena Nobili (serena@physto.se)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 09:25:30 PDT

    Hi Greg,
    good to see you are enjoying Hawaii.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Greg Aldering wrote:

    >First, have we plotted our SNminuit B-V color curve for 99Q compared to
    >that given in Riess' paper? Do we agree?

    I am afraid there is no B-V in Riess' paper, or in any other I know of.
    In Riess'paper they claim this SN was well observed both from the ground
    and from space. However, as I recall, Tonry told you that it was only
    observed at HST, plus the discovery point. I copy here the part in
    Riess'paper concerning the optical observations of this SN:

    "Rest-frame $B$ and $V$-band photometry using custom filters was obtained
    for SN 1999Q from observatories around the world. The {\it Hubble Space
    Telescope} ({\it HST}) monitored the $B$ and $V$ light curves of SN 1999Q
    from $\sim$ 10 to 35 days after $B$ maximum (rest-frame) using the WFPC2
    and the F675W and F814W filters in the course of 6 epochs. Combined,
    these data provide excellent coverage of the rest-frame $B$ and $V$ light
    curves from a few days before to 60 days after $B$ maximum (in the rest
    frame; Clocchiatti et al. 2000)."

    Clocchiatti et al 2000 was never out. Either there is more data we do not
    know about, or, if Tonry is right, they put it a bit too strong here on
    the quality of the optical lightcurve. Adding one discovery point to the
    HST data points does not increase the time range of this observation from
    "10 to 35 days" to "a few days before to 60 days after B maximum". In any
    case, we are assuming the time of maximum given by Tonry, and our fit is
    used to determined the stretch factor only. I am still not sure we want to
    get into the trouble of defending our reduction of their data, which we
    would be forced to do by adding B-V of this SN in the color study.
    Moreover, I don't think we are gaining much by adding this SN, since what
    we are presenting is more a feasibility study than striking results.

    The hypothesis of it being a different type could be interesting to
    investigate though.
    Cheers

            Serena

    www.physto.se/~serena