Re: K-Correction histogram

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 15:37:12 PST

    On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:29:09PM -0800, Lifan Wang wrote:
    > I might have found the reason for the difference between my K-corr and
    > the Serena's. In my fit, I only normalize the spectra to the observed
    > magnitudes close to the region of interest, and use a smooth function for
    > the normalization. When I try to include all the colors, I do end up
    > something closer to what I can get from Serena's template, but I think
    > this is unphysical.

    ???

    How can that be unphysical?

    What's happening is that your smooth function is unanchored when you
    don't use the other colors, and you're getting a different continuum
    from what Serena is getting. I don't see how that could be unphysical;
    it simply sounds like a matter of whether or not you're consistent with
    the observed data.

    > Note that contrary to what's in Rob's email, that in my approach, I did
    > not "applying the function that pushes it a little up here, a little down
    > there, in comparison to what Serena did".
    >
    > The normalization function I use has NO wiggles, and as it seems, we all
    > agree that this is important.

    That's not what I meant. *ANY* normalization that isn't a single
    constant is going to push the spectrum up a little in one place, down a
    little in another. This isn't wiggles, this is just what you have to do
    if you're normalizing more than one color.

    It's probably possible that there are degeneracies-- that two different
    normalization functions could yield the same photometry. This is
    another reason to have as many photometry poitns as possible. (Indeed,
    we'd be better off if we had Z and J photometry to anchor the spectrum
    to the red of the I-band.)