Re: K-corrections: another voice in the debate

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 11:16:14 PST

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:

    > ...well, mine shouldn't be *too* far off in I. I think that the
    > differences are ca. 0.05 between mine and Serena's, which sounds
    > plausible to me.

    The difference is about 0.05 (see the second email in this thread for a
    plot), and it sounds like Lifan is further off, but I think that the
    comparison has lost a lot of strength as a tie breaker. So we may be
    back to waiting for Lifan to explain what he is actually doing in more
    detail.

    > I think the worry is, though, that for the I-band there are specific
    > features that make a bigger difference-- and perhaps the spectra Peter
    > chose to build his original uberspectra didn't have "typical" enough
    > features.

    Yeah, most people seem to think that this is the problem.

    I again want to emphasize that this is a bigger difference than it sounds
    like. From the standpoint of Serena's paper it probably isn't a big deal,
    but if someday we have 20 high-z I band SNe it is critical that we
    understand this better. Assigning the 0.05 as an additional error bar is
    completely bogus because it is very strongly correlated between different
    SNe and is also a function of redshift. The net effect is quite
    significant -- much greater than just giving everything a slightly larger
    error bar would create.

    This is one of the big issues that I have been struggling with in CMAGIC
    -- when I use Serena's K-corrections for B vs. B-V CMAGIC, the
    cosmological contours shift by a sigma or more along the short axis.
    From this discussion it sounds like this shouldn't worry me too much
    because Serena doesn't fully trust her own U band, and I have a lot of
    filter mismatches that drag some U band into the B band.

    Alex