A question came up from Bill J., while working on our TOO...

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 09:03:50 PDT

    A question came up from Bill J., while working on our TOO... He said
    that in previous requests from Adam's team they found that they needed
    to up the default earth-avoidance angle from 20 degrees to 25 degrees,
    because they were getting too much noise. However, this would greatly
    reduce the time we could get on our target per orbit, from almost 60
    minutes to closer to 40 minutes. So the obvious question is whether
    the extra noise is worse than the loss of exposure time in terms of
    final signal-to-noise. Bill didn't know the numbers, and said that he
    only knows of Adam needing to change this avoidance angle for his
    program. So I will try phoning Adam now to see if he knows where the
    trade-off occurs in terms of time loss.

    Rachel, are you still logged in (awake), if Bill needs new modified
    instructions to fit a shorter orbit?