Here's what I just sent to Adam and Lou about divying up the tiles...[Fwd: Impressions of first couple of months? And tile divying...]

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 22:52:02 PDT

    ...Hopefully, this will be a reasonably simple solution. Once this is
    settled, we can add any minor addendums to handle the unlikely cases in
    which some field doesn't get observed because of bad guide stars, etc.
    --Saul

    attached mail follows:

    Hi Adam,
         First off, how is everything going with your first intense period
    of parenthood? Those first couple of months actually reminded me a
    little of doing a non-stop round-the-clock supernova search run --
    what's been your impression?

       ...Back to the planning for the upcoming HST search run: Yes, your
    basic approach to dividing the "first-and-fourth-SN refusal rights" for
    the tiles sounds like what we were thinking too. One small
    complication is that the some of the tiles are not as good as others in
    terms of overlap with the May search, so the particular tiles you
    suggested would give your group less effective search area then you
    should get by ~0.4 of a tile. A better assignment would be for your
    team to take "first-and fourth refusal rights" for the 5 contiguous
    tiles on the NW side (tiles 35, 32, 31, 28, and 27), since this gives
    you a little more area and gets closer to the desired target amount. We
    can also agree that your group will get "first-and-fourth refusal" for
    any supernova candidates found in both teams' tiles (i.e. the overlap
    regions between the teams) -- this makes the searchable area almost
    exactly right, and avoids complication for those supernovae. I'll
    attach the spreadsheet that shows these area amounts. (Now that Tony
    set up a spread sheet it would be easy to try out any other set of tiles
    that you would prefer, if there is some reason you would like some
    different tiles.)

       This particular division works for the case where we will have 33
    orbits left after all of our current requests and planned final
    references (after the SNe have faded) are fulfilled, and you will have
    19 left, after all of your current requests and planned final references
    are fulfilled. Is that the correct number that will be remaining for
    your team?

        I hope all's doing well with you. Regards, --Saul