pilar thought

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 17:17:02 PDT

    How much time might Pilar have?

    Here's the thought. This time around, since we'll have 6-week old
    images, we should be able to tell the difference between a very early
    moderate-redshift supernova and a very late moderate redshift
    supernova. (Probably most of those low %INC supernovae found on bright
    galaxies that Adam found and we didn't thanks to our %INC cut were very
    old supernovae, since they're older longer than they're very young.)

    If we do find some very young ones, they might be worth following.
    Probably not so much for cosmology -- more supernovae at z~0.4 don't do
    a lot for that nowadays, and we'll only have a couple. But, for more
    early lightcurves. This would also be interesting for Ib and Ic
    supernovae.

    As such, I would suggest that if Pilar does have time that she can use,
    we use it in the next couple of searches to follow a few candidates we
    believe are moderate redshift, very early candidates. (Not worrying
    about whether they are Ia's, Ib's, Ic's, or whatever, since ths would be
    more for supernova science than cosmology.)