The real purpose of the assessments

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 17:46:39 PDT

    I don't know why this didn't occur to me when we were having our meeting
    last week.

    The assements -- the six sliders you get when you save a candidate from
    within tiles, including Sub Quality, Host, Position, Shape, Motion, and
    Overall -- do have a very important purpose. The *secondary* purpose is
    communicating your view of these various qualities of the candidate to
    others by saving your assessments into the database.

    The *primary* purpose is as a sort of checklist to make sure that you've
    thought about some of the key things you need to think about with
    candidates. Yes, for *this* search, "Motion" isn't meaningful, but the
    others are things that you should think about with each candidate.

    I will update the "How To Scan" page with descriptions of these various
    things.

    I may also implement a window at the beginning of searchscan that asks a
    random quiz question about the "How To Scan" page, to prevent people
    from scanning if they haven't read and thought about the
    instructions.....