your question

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 06:18:20 PST

    Hi Saul,
    I added the Vega->AB conversions (Rachel, please check!) + looked
    into your question on the tail vs main pop. What happens is that
    the label on the plot is slightly missleading. It says "discovery"
    magnitude, but what it really is supposed to be is the magnitude
    at the time of search. As I am simulating a "classical" search,
    of course the field will contain SNe way past max. Such ones we
    will not detected, and will not appear in later plots. Nevertheless,
    they are shown in Fig 3. As this shows anything within 100 days
    from max, see slice at z~1.25 in a new plot added. So,
    as it is more likely to hit a SNe away from max than close to max, these
    faint magnitudes are most populated. However, it is the ones in
    the "bright tail" that will be discovered. Sorry if this
    confused you. I hope is more clear now.
    Ariel

    Ariel Goobar (www.physto.se/~ariel)
    Department of Physics, Stockholm University
    AlbaNova University Center, SE-106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
    tel: +46 8 55378659 fax: +46 8 55378601