Re: Vallery's analysis of grism spectra

From: Vallery Stanishev (vall@physto.se)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 01:33:28 PST

    Hi Chris,

    Please find attached a plot of the gound-based spectra of
    SuF02-012 & 60 with the ACS/grism spectra overplotted. I would concider
    the agreement between them as good.

    Cheers,
    Vallery

    Chris Lidman wrote:
    > Hi Vallery,
    > Your report is interesting. I'd like to see a couple of extra plots
    >
    > For SuF02-060, a direct comparison of the FORS2 and ACS spectra, i.e. plot
    > one on top of the other. In the current plot it is hard to tell how good the
    > agreement is.
    >
    > Similarly, for SuF02-012, a direct comparison of the FORS2 and ACS spectra.
    > The caption to figure 2 says that the former is shown, but I could not see it.
    > It is worth noting that Andy's program came up with a type Ia at
    > z=1.3 as a possible match for the FORS2 spectrum of SuF02-012, but neither Andy
    > nor myself were confident enough to claim it. For your interest, I attach a PostScript
    > file which shows the comparison.
    >
    > Cheers, Chris
    >

    > Vallery Stanishev wrote:
    >

    >>Dear All,
    >>
    >>The document I wrote was not meant to be a complete description
    >>of the reduction or complete analysis. And apparently there
    >>are some points that are not clear.
    >>
    >>About Rachel's comment #2. Yes, I first flat-field the images,
    >>and then subtract the background and extract the spectra.
    >>
    >>About #3. Before combining Riess' images I shifted them
    >>according to what is given in the fits headers. Here by
    >>'shift' I do mean sub-pixel shift. I did this with IRAF's
    >>IMSHIFT, which allows sub-pixel shifts.
    >>Perhaps this is not the best way to handle this, but since
    >>the software to deal ACS/grism dithered images is not
    >>out yet I used IRAF.
    >>
    >>About the dithering, sub-pixels, etc.. Riess' images were
    >>dithered by a few pixels only. On all 16 images the SN was
    >>within a square of 20x20 pixels. I also don't know if this
    >>is large enough to start seeing differences in the wavelength
    >>calibration (but this may be tracked down form the field dependence
    >>of the wavelength solution given in the aXe's conf. file).
    >>My guess would be that this 20-pixels shift is
    >>fairly small to affect the wavelength calibration and hence
    >>the flux calibration of Riess' spectrum.
    >>
    >>I agree that the point of doing sub-pixel dithering is
    >>to improve the resolution. If the software to handle such
    >>data is about to be released we can use sub-pixel dithering.
    >>However, I'm not quite sure that the spectral resolution is
    >>of big concern for us. Given the broad SN features, especially
    >>at z>1, a spectral resolution of ~90A seems to be enough to type the
    >>object and to get the redshift with reasonable accuracy.
    >>Moreover, for these very faint high-redshift SNe the S/N
    >>will not be high and we shouldn't hope to get something
    >>more than that. I would be more concerned about bad pixels
    >>and in this aspect I think that integer pixels dithering
    >>should be enough.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Vallery

    >>>Two immediate comments on Vallery's conclusions
    >>>regarding Riess' data:
    >>>
    >>>1. We should be able to handle sub-pixel dithered data. It
> [...]

    Dr. Vallery Stanishev
    Department of Physics, Stockholm University
    AlbaNova University Center, 106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
    tel: +46 8 55378757 fax: +46 8 55378601