Comparison of ACS grism spectra and ground-based spectra for SN 2002kr and SN 2002lc (fwd)

From: Rachel G. (gibbo@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 18:04:00 PST

    Hi Chris,

            The plots I have immediately available (attached)
    may not include the most recent reductions of the
    ground-based spectra. For each ACS spectrum, I plot the
    extractions from two sets of observations (top) and the
    average of the ACS extractions against the ground-based data
    (bottom). Now, I've binned the ground-based data only
    because overlaying too many of these on one plot makes
    things very messy. I could however, either remake these, or
    simply send you the ACS spectra (I don't think my latest
    reductions are on the spec web pages). Nonetheless, these
    should give people some idea of what we have.

    Plot remarks:

    1. top = SN 2002kr (SuF02-060)
       bottom = SN 2002lc (SuF02-012)

       SN 2002kr : with a significant amount of host galaxy
       light (elliptical fits best), SN is fit well by z=1.02.

       SN 2002lc : faint, little structure besides slope.
       Lifan finds unconvincing fits to type and redshift.

    2. SN 2002lc comparison with ground-based spectra

       Subaru data = green
       VLT = red and blue (two reductions)
       Keck = magenta

    3. SN 2002kr comparison with ground-based spectra

       VLT = red and green (two different reductions)
       GMOS = magenta

       Here the ground-based spectra most likely have much more
       host contamination. There is also a second nearby galaxy
       which may be contributing.

    Rachel