Re: Vallery's analysis of grism spectra

From: Rachel G. (gibbo@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 09:59:51 PST

    > Removing bad pixels, cosmic rays etc, is not a problem with sub-pixel
    > dithering Vallery. See the paper I sent around.
    >
    > Also, the new software is only really needed in the regime where the
    > S/N is greater than or comparable to the changes in the wavelength
    > dependent flat-field changes. We will be lucky to be in that regime,
    > so one can do what the ACS Team does -- if you want to be quick and
    > dirty -- and just drizzle together the images using a wavelength
    > independent flat-field. But we here are hoping to make the full proper
    > reduction fairly automatic.

            Ah, OK. Initially at least, quick and dirty will be
    useful for purposes of getting the redshift and possibly
    confirming the type.

    > Better resolution is indeed helpful. You want to resolve the features
    > not convolve them with something their own size (if possible). You
    > only loose S/N by doing so.

            Yes, this was a point Lifan and I have tried to make
    in meetings. And even in the non-drizzled reduction of
    Adam's data (the image), one can see the features show up
    nicely.

    Rachel