Re: Vallery's analysis of grism spectra

From: Andrew Fruchter (fruchter@stsci.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 07:48:00 PST

    Removing bad pixels, cosmic rays etc, is not a problem with sub-pixel
    dithering Vallery. See the paper I sent around.

    Also, the new software is only really needed in the regime where the
    S/N is greater than or comparable to the changes in the wavelength
    dependent flat-field changes. We will be lucky to be in that regime,
    so one can do what the ACS Team does -- if you want to be quick and
    dirty -- and just drizzle together the images using a wavelength
    independent flat-field. But we here are hoping to make the full proper
    reduction fairly automatic.

    Better resolution is indeed helpful. You want to resolve the features
    not convolve them with something their own size (if possible). You
    only loose S/N by doing so.

    Cheers,
    Andy