[ariess@stsci.edu: Re: HST LRP assumptions about 9727 & 9728 execution in 2004]

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 10:57:05 PST

    ----- Forwarded message from adam riess <ariess@stsci.edu> -----

    Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:35:18 -0500 (EST)
    From: adam riess <ariess@stsci.edu>
    Subject: Re: HST LRP assumptions about 9727 & 9728 execution in 2004
    To: ariess@stsci.edu, robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu
    Cc: hstserch@lbl.gov

    The main challenge will be that anything we do after mid-May
    will have the forced +/-5 degree orientation restriction.
    so if you move later we will have trouble
    in more searches.
    This might be manageable if we select the dates to match the orient
    and then repeat every 45+/-2 days
    but follow-up will be more challenging with the grism
    without the ability to roll, don't you think?

    I think the plan they sent is doable
    for the first activation

    your activation
    would look like

    discovery Jan ~23
    peak: grism, ACS, nicmos ~10 orbits Feb 2
    +5 days: ACS nicmos again ~5 orbits Feb 12
    +10 days ACS ~2 orbits Feb 22
    +15 days ACS ~2 orbits March 3
    +20 days " March 13

    Note that we can follow-up ~March 3 they say
    since its SAA impacted is not an issue (i.e., not a total blackout)

    ----- End forwarded message -----