Re: Evolution paper

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 12:43:03 PST

    Hi Gabriele,
      Thanks for the new version.

    There was one point you have asked me to clarify. This I do below.

    There are some additional very minor points that I note here. None are
    very significant and I think that the paper can be sent to the rest of
    the collaboration to review.

    Minor points
    ============

    I mildly object to adding "observed with the ESO VLT" in the title and
    the abstract. It is unnecessary.

    Move "C. Lidman" to the second group of authors, i. e. the alphabetical
    listing.

    I still find the first paragraph awkward. The other paragraphs in the
    introduction are fine.

    Comment e to table 2 is too terse.

    p8. type Ia -> Type Ia

    p8. EW of "Fe II 4800" EWS (delete the last EWS)

    p10. Capitalize "we" in the first para.

    The last paragraph undersells your result somewhat.

    Cheers, Chris.

    > > You should mention the results of Isobel's work in the 3rd paragraph.
    > > You should not plot the results on Fig 3., since her paper has not
    > > yet been accepted.
    > >

    > ------------- Sorry I do not understand what you mean here. I refer to
    > Isobel paper already in the introduction, but I could do it again in
    > this section. Could you suggest me the sentence you have in mind?
    > Thanks.
    > Also, what is that I should not plot in Fig 3. Note I'm not using any
    > of her data. --------

    Isobel created a plot (Fig. 18 in her paper) that is very similar to the
    one in Fig. 3, and she concludes that there the CaII velocities of
    high-z SNe are consistent with those measured for low-z SNe. I think
    that you should mention this in the last paragraph of section 3.1.

    After the second sentence, you could add the following

    "A similar result was obtained by Hook et al. (2005)."

    In regards to using her data in figure 3, I understand that you have not
    used her data. Currently, I think that that is the correct thing to do.

    --
    European Southern Observatory
    Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura

    Ph. +56 2 463 3106 FAX +56 2 463 3001