Re: Evolution paper

From: Gabriele Garavini (garavini@in2p3.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 07:58:55 PST

    Dear Chris, Dear All,

    thank you for your comments. I've implemented them all and prepared a
    new version of the paper
    (supernovae.in2p3.fr/~garavini/papers).
    Please note that I've also changed the title.

    As Chris was mentioning the paper should be ready for the final 1 week
    review from the whole collaboration before submission. BTW, the paper
    is currently in a A&A template. Is this the Journal we are going to
    submit the paper to?

    Chris, please find the answers to your questions in the following.

    ------ I've made the change as you suggested -------

    ------- Reynald and myself work on the introduction and on the
    conclusion with the aim to make it more readable ------------

    ------- thank you very much for checking carefully, I had a little bug
    in the program. It should be ok now ---------

    ---------- I refer to the 99aa paper. In the grey band here I'm
    plotting the same SNe as in that paper -----

    > You should mention the results of Isobel's work in the 3rd paragraph.
    > You should not plot the results on Fig 3., since her paper has not
    > yet been accepted.

    ------------- Sorry I do not understand what you mean here. I refer to
    Isobel paper already in the introduction, but I could do it again in
    this section. Could you suggest me the sentence you have in mind?
    Thanks.
    Also, what is that I should not plot in Fig 3. Note I'm not using any
    of her data. --------

    > Section 3.2
    > ===========
    >
    > I think that the first paragraph could be worded better. Try the
    > following
    >
    > "Folatelli (2004b) defined quantities that are similar to the
    > equivalent
    > widths that are used in stellar spectroscopy. However, as they pointed
    > out, in the case of supernova spectra, the relationship between these
    > quantities and the physical conditions of the ejecta is complex.
    > However, this does not prevent us from using these well defined
    > quantities when comparing nearby and distant SN~Ia spectra. In the
    > rest of this paper, we will refer to these quantities as equivalent
    > widths (EW)."
    >
    > I wanted to avoid the clause "can not be used to derive physical
    > information because of the lack of a real continuum to ..."
    >
    > In the 3rd paragraph, replace "poor data quality" with "noisy data"

    ------ I've made the change as you suggested -------

    > Section 3.2.1
    > =============
    >
    > The last sentence. By using a larger fitting region to analyse high-z
    > SNe (I appreciate that this is necessary), you are adding a bias.
    > If it is possible, it might be worth to work out how big this bias is
    > and to replace the last sentence in this paragraph with an estimate
    > of how big this bias is.

    ------- that is a bit complicated, any number I could come up with
    would be arbitrary, depending to the actual lambda span and depending
    on the actual feature the misidentification of the fitting region
    occurs.

    > Section 3.2.2
    > =============
    >
    > "addiction" -> "addition"
    >
    > Section 3.2.3
    > =============
    >
    > The systematic error caused by shifts in the fitting region is a
    > possible systematic uncertainty (as you correctly point out in the
    > caption to section 3.2.2). Whenever you mention this uncertainty, you
    > should use the adjective possible. Indeed, when this
    > uncertainty is included, the chi-sq values in table 5 are too good.

    ------ I've made the change as you suggested -------

    > In the 4th paragraph, change "It has to be noted ..." with "We note
    > ..."
    > Move "before maximum light" before the verb "are".
    >
    > Delete the word "included".
    >
    > Add the following "clause" before the word "the deviation"
    >
    > " ... a simple chi-sq. tests shows that ..."

    ------ I've made the change as you suggested -------

    > Section 3.3
    > ===========
    >
    > Is it normal to propagate the uncertainty in the x-axis in this way?

    ------- to my knowledge this is the only way I could actually do it
    ------- Something similar is done while fitting the cosmology for
    example!

    > Table 5
    > =======
    >
    > "only the statistical and systematic uncertainties"

    ------ I've made the change as you suggested -------

    > Section 4
    > =========
    >
    > Delete the vague last sentence in the second last paragraph.

    ----- after the rewording of the section done with Reynald the
    conclusion read differently now.