Comments on EW paper

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 07:40:15 PDT

    Hi Gaston,
      I have read through the paper and here are comments. We can discuss
    these during Fridays phone meeting.

    Cheers, Chris.

    Comments on Gaston's Paper - version 02/10/2003

    General Comments
    ================

    The definition of the spectral features is now clear and unambiguous.

    The motivations are better explained. However, they are spread out
    through the introduction. This could still be improved.

    The figures are in black and white. There are 3 SNe groups
    (over-luminous, under-luminous and normals), yet I see 4 shading schemes
    - black, dark grey, light grey and open. This makes it much more
    difficult to interpret the graphs. I suggest that you use a clearer
    colouring and shading scheme, as had been used in earlier versions of
    this paper.

    The following combination may be more suitable.

    - 91bg-like SNe - blue, solid and lightly shaded
    - Normal - green and solid
    - 91T-like SNe - red and open

    In this way, it will be much easier for the reader to see how the
    families of different SNe are grouped with respect to the eachother.

    In the caption to each figure, it may be useful to explicitly state
    the differences that are noted in the text. Ie. Under-luminous SNe lie
    above and 91T like SNe lie above. People usually look at the figures
    first and then read the text later.

    The paper presents three correlations between absolute luminosity and
    spectral indicator: R(Si II)_EW, t_br and alpha(2+3). I assume that
    you looked for many others. In most of the EW plots, the three type Ia
    classes: under-luminous over-luminous and normal, clearly separate. It
    should be explicitly mentioned (in a table) which correlations you
    tried and the measured dispersion about some linear or quadratic
    fit. In this sort of paper, a negative result is equally important.

    I have a serious concern about distances.

    You have used H_0 = 65, Freedman et al derive 72. Many of the
    distances (and absolute magnitudes) come from Saha et al. (The Sandage
    camp) who deduce significantly lower values for the Hubble
    constant. Freedman et al. also derive distances to the host of several
    of these
    SNe via Cephieds. How does the correlation change when the distances
    of Freedman and a Hubble constant of 72 are used instead. Although
    the final word as to who is right about the Hubble constant and cephied
    distances has not been said, most astronomers lean towards the Freedman
    et
    al results. We should probably do the same. At the very least we should
    check which camp the distance in table 7 come from and make sure they
    are coming from the one camp and not both.

    The number of supernovae used in the B-V vs EW plot is far too small. I
    do
    not think that this section should be in the paper.

    More specific suggestions
    =========================

    Title
    -----

    The title is awkward. Also don't use acronyms in the title.

    How about a main title with "A new set of spectral indices for type Ia
    supernovae."

    with the subtitle "Correlations with absolute luminosity"

    Abstract
    --------

    "easily reproducible" sounds bad. Perhaps "empirical" is better
    and more accurate.

    You use the term secondary calibrator. This is true for the alpha(2+3)
    parameter (see figure 12.), but it seems to me that this particular
    parameter can also be used as a primary calibrator. Surely, the latter
    is more interesting. Then, later in the abstract, you mention that
    there is no need to obtain photometric points beyond maximum
    light. This is certainly not true for secondary calibrators. For
    spectroscopic primary calibrators, like alpha(2+3), one will need at
    least one and probably more photometric points. as one still needs to
    measure or infer the apparent magnitude at maximum light.

    Introduction
    ============

    There are some peculiar type Ia SNe that are not classified as 91bg,
    91T or normal. Some examples are 2000cx, 2002cx and 2002ic. I don't
    know
    if we should mention these in the introduction or not.

    Section 3.
    =========

    I think that you should drop the sentence starting with "Since spectra
    ..."
    since it contradicts slightly what is said in the previous sentence.

    Section 4.
    ==========

    Free expansion is always true. It is not restricted to the hot
    photospheric
    phases. In the way this is written, one would get the impression that
    free
    expansion does not occur during the nebular phase.

    Section 4.1
    ===========

    Table 4
    =======

    I feel that the ratio of the intrinsic dispersion to the mean
    equivalent width (it is called the relative dispersion in the text) is
    not a meaningful parameter. Since it can be calculated from the
    parameters that are already in the table and since it is made from
    parameters that may change in different ways, I do not think that
    there is a strong argument for including it.

    Section 4.2
    ===========

    In the 3rd paragraph.

    "... where underluminous SNe are again excluded." I could not find
    where they had been excluded before.

    Section 4.3
    ===========

    In the second paragraph, you use the phrase "... seem to be on the rise
    ..." The word "rise" might confuse people - i.e. rise in the
    lightcurve.
    Try to use an other word or rephrase the sentence.

    Equation 3
    ==========

    What are the reasons for using a functional form rather than the cubic
    spline as is done in other cases. Why were you motivated to use it.
    Why did you not use a spline? From later sections this becomes clear.
    The
    reason why you use the functional form is that it parameterizes the
    time the "discontinuity" occurs. This should be stated in a short
    paragraph
    and not left to the reader to guess.

    Figure 5.
    =========

    In the caption to figure 5, you mention that the light grey symbols
    are used for underluminous SNe. There are no underluminous SNe in
    this plot. See my earlier comment about the colouring scheme for the
    plots.

    Top of the second column of page 11
    ===================================

    You mention that SNe in group b) have greater SiII abundances.
    Be careful here! Do you really mean that the "abundance" of SiII is
    higher in these SNe?

    Section 5
    =========

    1st paragraph: This is the first time that stretch and Delta m15 are
    mentioned. Please add references that define these quantities.

    2nd paragraph: Whose template B-band template did you use?

    To get a more recent idea of the accuracy of distance indicators,
    please read the work published by the HST key project on distance
    indicators. Freedman, W. et al. 2001, ApJ, 553, 47.

    H_0=65 is no longer standard. People use numbers that vary between 70
    and
    72. Use the Freedman et al result H_0=72 +/-3.

    The relation between "Fe II 4800" and intrinsic colours. Where does this
    come from. There is a section on this at the end of the paper, but
    readers
    will not be aware of this relation until the end. Did you actually use
    this
    relation to correct for reddening? From the text, it would seem that you
    did.

    Table 7.
    =======

    What is the major source of uncertainty in estimating the peak
    magnitude.
    Is it the distance estimate?

    There are two footnotes with the label "d".

    5.1.3
    =====

    The fact that you are able to find correlations which reduce the scatter
    to below the measurement error on M_B is a concern. It can only mean
    that
    the errors on M_B are over-estimated.

    A paragraph describing how one might alpha(2+3) this parameter
    practically for
    high redshift supernovae is needed. The most fundamental question here
    is "can we measure this parameter with sufficient accuracy for it
    to be useful"

    The last paragraph is very shaky. Alpha(2+3) is inferred for three SNe
    by
    inverting equation 6. It should not be and the inferred values should
    be deleted from table 7. The EW(2+3) values are also inferred, however,
    we are probably on more secure ground here as the spectra from which
    EW(2+3) are inferred are near maximum light.

    5.2
    ===

    This is very speculative. There are too few SNe and two of them show
    disagreement. Additionally, the error bars are large. It does not
    compete with the other measures.

    It is something you should pursue with future SNe, but I do not think
    that it should appear in this paper. I think it weakens the paper
    considerably.

    Conclusion

    Again, I think that the relative dispersion is not a meaningful
    parameter. It
    is mentioned in the second paragraph.

    In general, the conclusion is far too long and there is far too much
    detail. The conclusion is not a discussion. Try to limit this section
    to just a few paragraphs. You should emphasise alpha(2+3). It is the
    most
    important part of the paper.