Re: U-B color alert, feedback solicitation

From: Serena Nobili (serena@lpnhep.in2p3.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 07:38:06 PST

    Dear Vitaliy,

    as you know I am also working on my own on this issue and I can probably
    help in messing up even more this complicated topic. I want to stress,
    however, once again I am using the *real* data to compute the colours and
    not the results of a lightcurve fit (the same as in Nobili et al 2003), as
    I believe is the case of all the plots you put in the wiki. Moreover, I
    am fitting a linear relation of colours with the B-band stretch. My
    finding, however, is similar to yours:

         (U-B)_tBmax = -0.47 for s(B)=1

    The attached plot shows the result of my fit in a time bin of -1<t<1 days.
    The fit is actually done on the whole time and stretch together,
    e.g. without binning the data. The plot has been made only for comparison
    with yours. Also, as I said above, the points plotted are the real data,
    only for SN which were observed both in U and B at the same epoch (the two
    points at the same stretch value are the same SN observed twice in this
    time interval).

    I have some questions and comments about your plots, in particular U-B vs
    S(U). First, the exponential function you fit on the plot is mainly
    determined by the point at very low stretch (s ~ 0.6) which I believe is
    sn1997cn. Is this correct? If you take that point away, a linear relation
    would work quite well to fit the data. I am personally not including this
    SN in the analysis, also due to the difference of 0.15 mag , also
    discussed by Jha in the thesis, with the U-band published by Turatto et
    al. for the same SN.

    On the same line, there is another object, SN1997bp, whose U-band was
    published by Altavilla et al 2004 (same group as Turatto), for which the
    discrepancy with Jha is ~0.2-0.3 mag. So, it might be dangerous to include
    this SN in your fit. Other 2 SNe, SN1997br and SN1999aa, also observed in
    U-band by Altavilla et al. are quite in agreement with Jha's
    measurements.

    I hope I helped the discussion.
    Cheers,

          Serena

    PS. I apology for sending the file instead of adding it in the TWiki
    page. I tried to register, but it does not like my name so I was unable to
    do so (although I did use SerenaNobili). Can someone help me with that?

    --

    Give free food at: http://www.porloschicos.com/ http://www.thehungersite.com/