Re: [astro-ph/0301102] Iterative techniques for the decomposition of long-slit spectra

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 16:54:15 PDT

    Dear All,
      I had a quick look at the software. Here are some initial thoughts.

    - It is very easy to use, but probably more difficult to master.

    - It probably works best if a star was observed simultaneously with the
    SNe, but there are options to use the software if no such star was
    observed.

    - I think it will not significantly improve spectra that has low
    S/N and/or a heavily blended SN+host.

    - I think it will work best in spectra where the SN and host can
    already be separated in the spectral trace, which is the case for
    some of the candidates that we observed.

    Cheers, Chris.

    On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 16:44, Saul Perlmutter wrote:
    > An interesting article: Nic Suntzeff said that one of their ESSENCE
    > students tried coding this algorithm up, and got *much* better signal to
    > noise for some sample high-redshift SN spectra. (Apparently on SN went
    > from being a confusing thing that looked like it was at redshift z ~ 0.8
    > to being a very clear SN Ia at z = 0.43!)
    > --Saul
    >
    > http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0301102

    > Astrophysics, abstract
    > astro-ph/0301102
    > From: Jeremy R. Walsh [view email]
    > Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:14:19 GMT (622kb)
    > Iterative techniques for the decomposition of long-slit spectra
    > Authors: L. B. Lucy (Imperial College London), J. R. Walsh (ESO)
    > Comments: Accepted by AJ. 20 pages, 4 figures
    > Two iterative techniques are described for decomposing a
    > long-slit spectrum into the individual spectra of the point
    > sources along the slit and the spectrum of the underlying
    > background. One technique imposes the strong constraint that
    > the spectrum of the background is spatially-invariant; the
    > other relaxes this constraint. Both techniques are applicable
    > even when there are numerous overlapping point sources
    > superposed on a structurally-complex background. The
    > techniques are tested on simulated as well as real long-slit
    > data from the ground and from space.
    >
    > Full-text: PostScript, PDF, or Other formats
    > References and citations for this submission:
    > SLAC-SPIRES HEP (refers to , cited by, arXiv reformatted);
    > CiteBase (autonomous citation navigation and analysis)
    >
    > Which authors of this paper are endorsers?

    > Links to: arXiv, astro-ph, /find, /abs (-/+), /0301, ?

    European Southern Observatory
    Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura
    Casilla 19001, Santiago 19
    CHILE