spectroscopy standard star EG131

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 13:27:46 PDT

    Greetings,

    Sometime in 2000 I started to use EG131 as a spectroscopy standard for
    SCP spectroscopic observations. The reason was that it has an extremely
    smooth spectrum, and is therefore valuable for removing instrument
    signatures from SN spectra. However, what I only recently learned is
    that this star is considered a variable star by SIMBAD. The variation
    seems to be small, based on the scant published data, so the
    "variability" might be due to inconsistent measurements. Anyway, you
    might want to beware of using this star for purposes other than getting
    the response versus wavelength. (Or, if you have found it to be consistent
    with other spectrophotometric standards, please let me know!)

    - Greg