Re: New HST draft

From: Richard Ellis (rse@astro.caltech.edu)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 08:50:39 PDT

    Dear Rob et al:

    I have followed the HST paper developments as best I could and very
    much like the final product. It is clearly very thorough and Rob
    is to be congratulated. I certainly have no objection to it being
    submitted as is.

    Since I am travelling, I offer only one major comment at this late
    stage and that is that I think it is wise to do a better job of
    cross-referencing and comparing with Sullivan et al. There is a
    clear overlap in some of the goals even if the methodology
    is very different. Sullivan et al is only obliquely mentioned
    at the very end of the paper yet, in my humble opinion, it
    is the only other major SCP paper with new data since P99. It
    seems odd therefore that we don't take the trouble to present
    all three papers as part of a logical sequence.

    How could this be done?

    I would insert a new paragraph in Section 1 ahead of "In this
    paper" which tells the next part of the story post-P99. This
    would describe the Sullivan et al approach to look for evidence
    that dust is distorting the Hubble diagram and succinctly
    say what was found. This then gives you the opportunity to
    say it is not as convincing perhaps as a direct measurement
    of the reddening of each SN which is the next logical step.

    In Section 2.1, we cannot simply ignore the fact
    that Sullivan et al did not categorize any of the present
    sample morphologically. The dates of the WFPC2 observations
    and the Sullivan et al paper make this something readers
    will be very puzzled about. I don't know what it best to
    say here. I did push this "orphan SNe" issue quite hard last
    summer.

    In Section 2.2, We ought to be clearer in discussing how the
    local SNe have been selected (Table 5). Recall that
    in Sullivan et al we re-analyzed the enlarged Hamuy et al/Riess
    sample over and above that in P99 with SCP precepts. This was
    discussed in some detail, as well as reconsideration of some
    of the P99 data. Again, we can't pretend that discussion never
    occurred.

    Table 7 and Figure 1 likewise present E(B-V) comparisons which
    overlap with similar plots given in Sullivan et al. The natural
    way to link the two papers would be to compare and contrast
    the results in a subsection of Section 3. It would be trivial
    to morphologically classify the hosts of these 11 SNe and
    enlarge the comparison. I refer you to Figure 10 (I think,
    no internet here in Tucson!) of Sullivan et al.

    Overall, I think it wise to raise the level of discussion
    of Sullivan et al from a "in passing remark" (Section 5.8)
    in the section concerning population drift to one of
    a more direct comparison of E(B-V) inferred from host class
    versus SN colors.

    One other point:

    Section 1. Many theorists simply disagree with our conjecture
    that SNe give the only "direct" indication of an acceleration.
    I have argued endlessly with many (Kamionkowski, Steinhardt,
    Lahav, Efstathiou..) who argue that the combination
    of a low $\Omega_M$ from clusters, 2dF and lensing, combined with
    a flat spatial curvature (CMB) inevitably leads to an acceleration
    regardless of SNe.

    I think it wise to add a reference to Efstathiou et al (2002) who combined
    2dF and CMB to support the acceleration (as was done in Sullivan
    et al I think).

    regards

    Richard

       Richard Ellis Direct line: +1-626-395-2598
       105-24 Astronomy Secretary: +1-626-395-4970
       Caltech, Pasadena FAX: +1-626-568-9352
       CA 91125 Mobile: +1-626-676-5530
       e-mail:rse@astro.caltech.edu URL: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~rse