New HST draft

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 15:13:35 PDT

    A new HST paper draft is available on

       http://brahms.phy.vanderbilt.edu/~rknop/scp/hst/

    Below, find "when we can meet", "assignments" (you may be named!), "what
    is new", "what rob still has to do".

    WHEN WE CAN MEET

    I would like to phone-meet this coming Tuesday (April 22) if at all
    possible to discuss this draft. That gives people plenty time to read the
    paper, but no time to procrastinate before doing so at the last minute.
    Plus, my Wed and Thu are going to be extremely busy, and I'm out of town
    next Friday on through the weekend. If it is at all possible to meet
    Tuesday, let's please do that.

    ASSIGNMENTS

      EVERYBODY : read the paper. If you see a comment in ALL CAPS or if
      you see a checkbox in the margin, ask yourself if you're *the one* who
      can tell me what I need to know. (Sometimes the checkboxes are for
      me, but not always). If you are, please get back to me on it. Some
      of these questions and checkboxkes have been there for several drafts.

      PETER/ANDY/ISOBEL : Please look at the two checkboxes on the right
      column of page 4, the checkbox on the left column of page 16, and my
      description of the subset used in Section 5.2 on page 31.

      PETER : You sent me the prior. What's the reference for it? Is it
      just Riess 1998, or something else? See bottom right checkbox on
      p. 18.

      GREG : See the checkbox on the left column of page 4, and sections
      5.5-5.7. (I believe you are writing sections 5.5 and 5.6, yes?)

      DON : Nag me to get you the current lightcurve postscript files (no
      different from the last ones, really) so that you can make pretty
      lightcurve figures. Also, I believe you are making a pretty HST image
      picture.

    WHAT IS NEW

    A bunch of reorganization based on Saul's comments:

      * The cosmological fit method was pulled back into the
        "observations/data reducation/analysis" section, likewise the Milky
        Way E(B-V) goof and the alpha discussion.

      * The prior is discussed in two places; first in section 3 (colors and
        extinction), and then in section 4.1 (when extinction's effect on
        cosmology is discussed). The prior figure and the extinction's
        effect on cosmology figure have been combined following Saul's
        model. (There is a missing panel from that figure, which is why
        there's a ghost title.)

      * The w discussion was moved back before the systematic error
        discussion.

      * Other figures got rearranged. E.g., Figure 3, suggested by Ariel,
        is new.

      * There is now a systematic error figure.

      * All confidence limits plots were done with new software in an
        attempt to mollify Saul. But I'm also happier with the new way of
        doing it since the image files are substantially smaller.

      * Miscellaneous rewriting.

    WHAT ROB STILL HAS TO DO

    I did *not* touch the appendix; this needs to be done. At the very
    least, Chris Lidman pointed out some problems in there I haven't fixed
    yet, and everybody seems all unhappy that I just spat the numbers in
    without making sure I was giving errors to the same decimal place as
    flux values. I will do this; it's mechanistic.

    I need to redo the lightcurve fit tables. I Know there is at least one
    supernova that got the wrong name. I need to convert the data tables I
    use for the fits to the TeX tables more automatically (in the past I've
    done some of that by hand) so that we can be sure it was done right, and
    that supernova names don't get screwed up differently each time (but
    rather get screwed up the same way every time).

    I will probably have to take my cat to the vet again at some point.