Re: New HST draft

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 09:08:59 PDT

    I have yet to finish reading the paper (my comments in about a couple of
    hours) but I do agree with the major point that Richard has made. In
    particular we should integrate the work of Sullivan et al as the
    intervening step between p99 and this paper. That way it sets us up for
    the next paper (w/ the NICMOS data) in a very straight-forward manner.

    P99 -to- morphology -to- B-V -to- V-I

    each one provides a better measurement of dust than it's predecessor.

    I also think that as a group whose publication record is low, we should
    always make every effort to reference and include as much of our work as
    possible. Especially those that contain good/important science!

    As for the comment concerning the cosmology/acceleration, perhaps we could
    make the statement that the only single experiment which provides direct
    evidence for acceleration is the Hubble diagram of supernova, while all
    other measurements of acceleration require the combination of two or more
    experiments. (my word-smithing is at a low this morning but I
    assume you get the point). Then cite the Efstathiou paper.

    More shortly.

    And BTW, I think the paper is very good. This has clearly been a work of
    very good, meticulous and honest science.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Staff Computational Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC