HST paper U-B, etc.

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 12:28:21 PDT

    Hi Rob,

    A few things on the HST paper.

    First, it sounds from the report by Ariel that your U-template is
    in good shape at the epochs that matter - so we can just say that in
    the paper. I suggest adding on page 8, before "Each of these ..."

      This template is in good agreement with the composite $U$-band template
      shown in Figure~XX of \cite{jhaphd}, as well as more detailed template
      analysis which included the additional SNe~Ia from that same work.

    Now, regarding the U-B error to quote. First, I would suggest that for
    the sole purpose of determining the extinction correction that you *do*
    use a stretch-dependent U-B at max even though you did not do this for
    the K-corrections. Since the K-corrections are tilted to match the
    observed colors, most of the apparent inconsistency is eliminated.
    This was the approach used in P99. In this context I suggest you add
    a line at some appropriate place saying:

      The intrinsic $U$-$B$ depends on lightcurve stretch. We have fit this
      dependence for the stretch range of our affected SNe~Ia --- those at the
      highest-redshift --- including data from \cite{jhaphd}. This relation
      was then applied when determining host galaxy extinction for those
      highest-redshift SNe.

    (By the way, why don't you quote E(U-B) in Table 3? Is it that you are
    taking E(U-B) and converting to E(B-V)? Do you think this is clear to
    the reader? Perhaps a footnote for the afffected SNe is in order. Or
    maybe I missed something entirely!)

    Next, in your email of yesterday, you say that the overall chi-square
    doesn't change much when you change the intrinsic dispersion in U-B.
    But, can you tell us how does the cosmology change? Also, how is the
    chi-square of the individual affected SNe changed? If all of their
    chi-squares are too good for sigma_U-B = 0.09 that may indicate that
    the intrinsic dispersion being used is too high.

    In particular, one point I haven't seen discussed (or maybe I've
    forgotten!) is that since U-band maps to F675W at z ~ 0.88, only
    SN1997ek is nearly 100% U-B in the F675W-F814W frame. For the other
    SNe, you still have B-band light in F675W, so the intrinsic dispersion
    used should be a combination of the U-B and B-V intrinsic dispersions,
    weighted by the relative fractions of U and B light in the filter.

    In my opinion, the main impact of the choice of the color dispersion is
    in whether we can say that we have measured host-galaxy extinction for
    many more new SNe~Ia. This matters not only because we can generate an
    unbiased OM-OL fit, but because it can directly demonstrate for
    individual high-redshift SNe that the low extinction measured statistically
    for the ensemble of P99 SNe is in fact confirmed. (Based on papers we are
    presently being asked to review, this is a big point!)

    In P99 there were 5 SNe with sigma_(B-V) < 0.10 mag. In this paper
    there will be only 6 more if we adopt sigma_U-B = 0.09, or 11 more if
    we adopt sigma_U-B = 0.04. (Granted, it isn't this black and white, as
    the 6, above, would be measured about 2x better than the best 5 SNe
    colors in P99.)

    Finally, I have a few presentation items that I'll pass along since they
    might require a little time for you to implement:

       In Table 6, could you please provide columns giving the stretch and
       host E(B-V) (or A_B) that was assumed?

       In Table 8, could you add P(Omega_Lambda > 0) for each of your fits?

    Cheers,

    Greg

    P.S. BTW, I invite everyone to scan the paper for missing references and
         then provide Rob with the bibtex entry (from ADS), as currently the
         scholarship is a bit light in a few places. Those types of things
         annoy some reviewers, and may make them question our analysis because
         they may think we haven't done our homework.