Re: HST paper U-B, etc.

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 16:44:23 PDT

    Hi Rob,

    You raise several issues in your reply. Let me concentrate on just
    one for the moment. You said

    > The way I estimate E(B-V) is not by subtracting observed B-V from an
    > intrinsic B-V, but rather by figuring out what E(B-V) I need to process
    > the appropriate stretch spectrum through (in addition to redshifting it
    > and then putting it through Milky Way extinction) in order to get the
    > observed integrated R-I color. E(B-V) is as such a perhaps better
    > thought of as a parameter ...

    But, on page 14 of the paper, in the last paragraph you say "... and the
    host galaxy E(B-V) (measured from the peak color of the lightcurve)."

    In the preceding paragraph on that same page you say "... a template
    spectrum ... for each day ... must be modified ... to reflect dust
    extinction ... Reddening effects from dust were calculated given the
    E(B-V) parameter (measured from the lightcurve fits) (sic) for the host
    galaxy."

    To me the first says you are using the peak color to get E(B-V) and the
    other says you have a E(B-V) parameter that is used to correct the
    template at *all* lightcurve epochs. If you are using E(B-V) as a
    parameter for all the lightcurve epochs, then the dispersion in U-B
    must affect all the lightcurve points. This will affect the stretch as
    well, and we don't even know whether that hurts or may even help.
    Doesn't that mean that in your approach you can't do anything that is
    self consistent in treating the intrinsic color dispersion given the
    current state of knowledge? If so, then I would advocate letting the
    scatter of our own U-contaminated SNe tell us what intrinsic dispersion
    to use for the final Hubble-diagram points.

    I apologize in advance if I'm still not understanding something here.
    In part I am testing whether the paper is telling the reader how the
    analysis was done.

    - Greg