Re: late-time fitting debate

From: Don Groom (deg@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 09:27:40 PST

    > On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 01:03:04PM -0800, Lifan Wang wrote:
    > > So my preferred approach is to do stretch fit only
    > > for data before nebular phase.

    Lifan, what do you mean? What sort of s(t) do you imagine? I'm left with
    the stupid picture of a lightcurve with a discontinuity at the transition
    to the nebular phase. I could even think about implementing it, but, as
    Rob says, not for this paper.

    In addition to the 56Co problem, there's the question of whether late
    supernovae follow the same template, the question of how good our template
    is out thar, and questions about galaxy/background subtractions by the
    (non-SCP) people that reduced the data. My impression in looking at the
    Hamuy data a long time ago is that late times have all sorts of problems,
    maybe physics and maybe data reduction.

    What do you suggest?

    Don