"Error floor"

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 06:33:21 PST

    I'm about to go through and modify all my hamuy and riess low-z data
    files to introduce an "error floor".

    As per our discussion, I will set a minimum error equal to 0.007 times
    the maximum flux point in a given lightcurve data file. If any
    lightcurve point in that data file has a flux error smaller than this, I
    will replace that error bar with my minimum error bar.

    I think this is the procedure we agreed was best. Is there a reference
    on why this is a good idea, so that we can skip writing the
    justification?