galaxy spectral types

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 12:55:47 PST

    Here are the galaxy types for the 1999 nearby supernova search based on
    the reference spectra, following up on questions during the collaboration
    meeting today:

    1999aa : spiral
    1999ac : spiral
    1999af : spiral
    1999ao : spiral
    1999ar : ?
    1999au : spiral
    1999av : elliptical
    1999aw : 'hostless'
    1999ax : ?
    1999be : spiral
    1999bh : spiral
    1999bi : spiral
    1999bk : elliptical
    1999bm : spiral
    1999bn : ?
    1999bp : spiral
    1999bq : elliptical

    Note that there is at least one error in this list. Greg obtained some
    very high signal to noise ESI spectra of one of the 'elliptical' hosts,
    and it turned out to actually be a spiral. I think it was 1999av, but I
    can't seem to locate the email.

    Any discussion of future spectra of the host galaxies should certainly
    include Greg, as he has an interest in this topic.

    If you would like to actually see the spectra and a discussion of
    trying to measure things from them, I refer you to

    http://panisse.lbl.gov/~aconley/galaxy_status.ps

    This is not a finished work. It was just sort of an internal memo to
    myself describing what was going on with the galaxy spectra work. It has
    at least a few known errors in it, but should give you a feeling for the
    quality and usefullness of the already extant data set. Note that nothing
    has changed since my brief at the last collaboration meeting, except
    that there have been a number of attacks on the usefullness of the
    Lick/IDS system published.

    Alex