Re: Updated summary chart -- with some likely HST choices...

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 11:49:41 PST

    > As you will see on the attached summary chart, our current best bets for
    > HST include:
    > 071, 060, 065 -- likely options
    > 007, 081, 012 -- still in the game
    > 061 -- still being observed, if possible

    Here are my comments on the above, clearly some of the folks were up on
    the mountain too long making the reviews.

    My ordering of the top three high-z candidates are as follows:

    017 - This one has a good Keck Spectrum of a SN Ia all by itself. Redshift
    looks to be ~1.0 and one can even see the Si line. It is good to go for
    all HST observations and the grism wouldn't present any problems.

    071 - This one has an ok spectrum of a clear SN (but sub-type is a little
    shaky). The z is from the host at 0.928. It is good for all HST
    observations and the grism will work as the bright objects miss it with
    it's specified orientations.

    065 - Like above, ok spectrum and a z from host of 1.18. It is good for
    all HST observations but the grism still needs to be checked out for its
    PA as there may be bright nearby galaxies running all over it.

    Here is the next tier:

    060 - This one has shown no signs of SN in the spectrum but it does look
    like a nice Elliptical galaxy at a z = 1.062. All HST observations work
    for it and the grism would be ok since the nearby bright objects miss it
    given it's orientation. Since it is a Elliptical I would be willing to
    take a chance on it.

    The last tier, and in my opinion not worthy of following unless we get
    more data.

    081 - Redshift uncertain, SN spectrum very questionable (as even in their
    hope of matching it to z=1.5 still misses a big feature). It also misses
    the first Nic observation, though it looks like if we push the orientation
    to the far side of what's allowed it should work. We will ask Ray Lucas
    about this shortly. Grism observations can not work on this one as it is
    too faint.

    007 - No certain redshift and no SN spectrum. Conflicting reports of
    everything on this one. Works for HST observations but why do it???

    012 - Once again no certain redshift and no SN signal. It works for the
    HST observations but would be too faint for the grism.

    061 - Galaxy only, questionable redshift from one line, no SN. Works for
    HST observations and the grism.

    Of course there are a few lower z SNe at z~0.6 that are clear but would
    not fit the purpose of our high-z campaign.

    Cheers,

    Peter (reality) Nugent

    --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Staff Computational Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC