Re: Gemini nod & shuffle / priorities

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 00:25:07 PST

    Hi Isobel,

    > We can certainly specify different conditions for brighter and fainter
    > targets though.

    Ok, let's do that then.

    >Re Nodd & Shuffle - we will observe the source in both nod positions so
    >the overhead is not much larger than if you offset along the slit between
    >exposures in the conventional way. The difference is that we will nod much
    >more frequently and will not read out the detector in between nids - the
    >more frequent nodding is what adds the 25% overhead.

    Am I right that with nod & shuffle one does pixel-by-pixel subtraction
    of sky observed at the SN location for each nod position? Subtracting
    "sky" from "object+sky" on a pixel-by-pixel basis gives a sqrt(2) hit
    in S/N (for "object" << "sky"), unless "sky" is obtained by including
    sky observations from several additional images.

    What was tried when chopping along the slit with LRIS was to make a sky
    residual image by medianing the sky-subtracted 2D spectra taken over
    the span of about an hour surrounding the time of a given spectrum, and
    then subtracting a version of that residual image which was smoothed on
    a scale such that most fringe residuals survived. Unfortunately, due to
    flexure, one could not median coadd observations covering a window of
    more than about an hour. If GMOS has sufficiently small flexure, then
    one could use this exact same approach - maybe even with a longer
    averaging window in time - in order to decrease the S/N hit. To do
    this, the SN has to be placed at different locations along the slit
    even across targets so that sky is almost always being observed at the
    location where a SN had once been placed during the night.

    An approach to avoid the sqrt(2) hit for part of the spectrum is to do
    pixel-by-pixel sky subtraction only where there are strong sky lines
    and/or strong fringing, and do interpolated sky subtraction where the
    fringing and OH lines aren't bad.

    Since the nod & shuffle data can be reduced in a classical way - doing
    interpolated sky subtraction - if desired, it certainly makes sense to
    take the data in this mode for those faint candidates which we expect
    to have their main features redshifted into the OH forest.

    >For the faint ones we'll specify better IQ (~0.6?) with nod & shuffle
    >and for the not-so-faint ones 0.8" with no nod & shuffle.

    This sounds good: <0.6" for faint targets and <0.8" for brighter targets.
    Now we have to define "faint" and "not-so-faint"! I would guess that the
    transition is somewhere around i' ~ 24. What do you think?

    >Then we can mention that we'd like to be observing on 8th if possible.
    >(do we want to hold back some time for that night? It is possible that
    >we could have used all our 10.3 hrs before that if things go well.)

    If we stick to using our time on nights with sufficiently good seeing -
    using the faint and bright IQ limits specified above - then we needn't
    hold back time for the 8th.

    Cheers,

    Greg