Re: Gemini nod & shuffle / priorities

From: Isobel Hook (imh@astro.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 02:28:12 PST

    Hi Greg,

    > Am I right that with nod & shuffle one does pixel-by-pixel subtraction
    > of sky observed at the SN location for each nod position? Subtracting
    > "sky" from "object+sky" on a pixel-by-pixel basis gives a sqrt(2) hit
    > in S/N (for "object" << "sky"), unless "sky" is obtained by including
    > sky observations from several additional images.

    Yes you are right. I see what you mean now.

    So we can still take Nod & Shuffle exposures for faint targets and reduce
    them either way, provided we are careful about the nods we use (and we
    should probably offset subsequent N&S exposures of the same target).

    Your r=24 boundary for what we call faint sounds reasonable. Lets see how
    many good ones we get as a function of magnitude and pick a couple of the
    faintest for Nod & Shuffle. There wont be time to do more than a few of
    these once you factor in overheads (setup & nodding etc). By the way, in
    the past we did about 3x1800s on r~24.3 objects and about 2hrs on source
    for fainter ones at Gemini.

    Isobel.