Re: ISAAC time

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 02:51:07 PDT

    Hi Chris,
    how many hours are left?
    To do a z=0.9 guys is very interesting as it corresponds quite
    nicely to restframe B-R. This would allow us to further explore
    the intergalactic extinction issue at higher z. In 0.6" seeing it takes
    3.8 has to reach S/N~20. If we also can squeeze in another z=0.5 guy,
    I think that would be the best combination. At the moment, it seems to
    us here in Stockholm that these two options should prevail w.r.t getting
    a deeper ref on Beethoven.

    Cheers,
     Ariel

    On Wed, 22 May 2002, clidman wrote:

    > Dear Colleagues,
    > We still have a number of ISAAC hours under our disposal. It would seem
    > to me that we could do one of three things.

    > i) Observe at least 2 and perhaps 3 z=0.5 SNe.
    >
    > - Do we have such SNe?
    > - Will the ground based light curves be good enough (ie S/N > 20) to make the
    > IR observations worth while.

    > ii) Observe z=0.912 SNe. In very good seeing, we may be able to get good enough
    > S/N. I am Paranal at the moment and I do not have access to my notes in Santiago.
    > Could someone provide me with the J band magnitude at maximum light for a
    > z=0.9 supernovae
    >
    > iii) Get a deeper reference image for Beethoven
    >
    > Of the three, i and ii may be the most productive things to do scientifically.
    >
    > Cheers, Chris.

    Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
    FYSIKUM, Stockholm University
    Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy & Biotechnology
    tel: +46 8 55378659