Re: S02-064

From: Andy Howell (DAHowell@lbl.gov)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 15:35:28 PDT

    Lifan Wang wrote:

    > I made a fit with the new data and still think 0.56 to be the
    >best redshift.
    >
    >A Ic at 0.33 11 days past max is highly unlikely as Ic at
    >that phase are too red to fit the observed.

    Lifan,
    I am not sure what you are talking about. The color is fine. If you
    overplot
    the dereddened spectrum of 94I at +11d on S02-064 they lie right on top
    of each other. See:
    http://panisse.lbl.gov/collab/data/spec/homesp/2002/S02-064/S02-064.94I.jpg
    or go here for the big picture:
    http://panisse.lbl.gov/collab/data/spec/homesp/2002/S02-064/S02-064.html
    Here I didn't subtract a host galaxy or monkey with the colors in any way.

    If we knew that the host was an elliptical, then we could rule out the
    Ic hypothesis, but
    Peter and I took a look at the host galaxy and we can't determine the
    type from our data.

    Also, we did a back of the envelope calcuation, and S02-064 is too
    bright in I to be a clone of 94I itself at +11d, but its magnitude is
    consistent with another Ic, 83V at +11d which has an almost identical
    spectrum at that epoch. Note that I am not saying that S02-064 was
    observed at exactly 11d past max -- we don't have great Ic time
    coverage, so we can't determine the date very precisely just from the
    spectrum.

    Actually, I am not convinced that this is a Ic at all. I agree that it
    could also be a Ia.
    The point of my original email on this subject was that we shouldn't
    jump to
    conclusions that it is a pre-max Ia at z~0.55. I thought it was
    post-max and could go either
    way as far as the Ia/Ic identification. I haven't seen anything to
    change my mind on this
    point. But maybe your new fits will convince me. Please send them and
    I will put them on the web page.

    -Andy