Re: VLT

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 20:26:25 PDT

    > It could also be a starburst galaxy. Without [OII], I cannot tell.. If it is a starburst
    > galaxy, then it should not be variable. If it is a LINER, then it is a AGN, and I would
    > guess that some variablity should be expected.

    I did a little bit of digging, and yes, other LINERs have been observed
    to vary as with other AGNs. Which means that this is less likely to be
    a SN, since the variation we see could be ascribed to the AGN (if there
    in fact is one). And, if it's a starburst galaxy, the chances that the
    SN is a core collapse is higher.

    -Rob